Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A letter to Margaret

Dearest Margaret,
     You flatter me with all your kind words while touching on a very important topic. Much has changed from the days with Elvis and Marlon Brando. Gone are the days of unwavering patriotism and optimism. Looking back at my comparatively short history, there has never been this much doubt about me as we are seeing today. Even some of my own citizens are ashamed and appalled at what is done in my name. My people have lost pride in me and I cannot wholly blame them.
     I have been increasingly dependent on everyone but myself for the products found in daily life. No longer are people proud when they see “Made in USA.” The American soldiers abroad have not been the shining examples that we once thought they were. I feel like we treat everyone else with disdain and condescension. This is not the America that everyone called the land of opportunity. How horrible it must be to come here and realize that I am not the shining example I was made out to be. Perhaps this is where the disappointment and contempt started, when people first found out that they were lied to about all that I supposedly promised.
     All the while the citizenry go about their daily routines with this disappointment about them and it spreads to all parts of their lives. Then along came the people who try and divert our attention from the important issues so that the people may forget their disappointment in their country and instead be disappointed about the latest American Idol reject. Is this really what we want our American idol to be? Someone who leads us astray from what needs to be done so that the few with power may do as they please while we are distracted by our “American” idol?
     There is much that is to be desired about me, but I still have hope that one day I may live up to your expectations about me. I still believe in the image that has been painted of me and I know that there will come a time that others will think of me and see that image as well.
Thank you again for your kind words and concern,
      -America

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Chris, America is not as proud as it used to be, things have changed a lot in the past years, but still a lot of people came over here with disappointments. And just like what you said, "people may forget their disappointment in their country and instead be disappointed about the latest American Idol reject." I think this is a big issue that many countries just try to blame all the faults to America instead of blame themselves. Well...I am hoping the same as your hopes, hoping the image of America and what America had done for the world to be see.

    ReplyDelete